It’s Memorial Day weekend! Hurrah! Summer is finally here! The heat’s in the 90s, and it’s time to get that “itsy bitsy teeny weeny yellow polka dot bikini” from the attic! LOL! 🙂
But seriously, people! We got to work on that tan and spend some more time outside, and what better way to do that than to turn your patio or porch or deck into your favorite room in the house? Let’s do this!
There are important elements to consider in making your outdoor menagerie. What do we need to take into account when creating an entertaining outdoor space? Let’s walk through it.
1. Deal with the HEAT!!!
Everybody needs some sun and some Vitamin D, but too much sun is no fun. So, how do we stay cool and comfortable in our outdoor space? There are a number of ways:
- A Cantilevered Umbrella will make a regular deck with no protection start feel like a resort.
- Sails are also very popular right now! The beauty of a sail is that it’s a modern version of the umbrella, keeping your space cool and stylish!
- Outdoor fans are a must for the start of your resort: ceiling fans, fans with misters, oscillating fans with aromatherapy! Can you start to see it?
- Gazebos are classic! They’re romantic! They’re a room of their own whether attached to your porch or somewhere else in your back yard! It’s another gathering place to enjoy! The back yard gazebo is Classically American, conjuring images from black and while movies, resort-style BBQs, and porch swings!
2. Time to Select Your Outdoor Furniture!
Every space feels bare without the proper accouterments! Furniture adds comfort, color, and a coziness to your new outdoor space. Here are some pieces to consider:
- Indoor/outdoor rugs come in all sizes, and it lay the groundwork for establishing your color palette. Coordinate this with the colors of your umbrella, your furniture, your grill, etc.
- Furniture sets whether wicker, aluminum, teak, or some combination will display what your outdoor room is to be used for: lounging with your loved ones.
- Pillows and plants are inexpensive and colorful accessories that will personalize your outdoor space uniquely.
3. “That’s Entertainment!”
Remember that movie? Me too! 🙂 What is the point of creating a beautiful and comfortable atmosphere without entertainment built in? Let’s fix that:
- There are outdoor TVs that are weather-resistant, which will create the ultimate summer spot to watch summer blockbusters with your family and loved ones.
- Summer is about movement and dancing and parties! You can’t a party without music, no matter your genre! There are plenty of systems that are weather-resistant and connect through bluetooth. And they can even be camouflaged to fit in to your back yard decor!
- Lighting, like music, creates ambiance. The key when thinking about lighting is to consider location: up lights, rope lights, dangling lights of any kind, shaded lights, candles, and of course, fireflies!!! 🙂
Coming up with the best combination of these elements is the first step. Deciding which friends to invite over to enjoy your space is the next!
Hey. If you want to invite us over, we’re the perfect guest! And if you need any advice and help turning your back yard into the resort-style space, give us a call for a free 30-minute phone consultation. We’d love to chat with you about it! (704) 966-1223